Monday 6 May 2013

OUGD401: Self Evaluation - Module Evaluation.

  1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have learnt how to research more thoroughly, and more so the more critical things rather than general research. I have learnt how to narrow down this research, to input the things I need to use/ display to support my work, and get rid of the things that I do not need. I have also learnt how to use the Harvard referencing system and have ensured that each of my quotes has been referenced to my fullest potential, this is evident in my essay, and will be useful during the years to come. I have worked on my academic writing style to ensure that I make points in an effective and appropriate way, this supported by evidence by a range of academic writers appropriate to the subject.






2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

The main approach to design production I have developed Is consideration of different medias, I did consider screen printing my final design for my publication, however planning to do this informed me that in order to complete this task I would need to set aside more time, or have a simpler design.
The main method of design production I have researched into and developed an understanding for it binding, not only picking the bind that would work best for the book, but which will echo the style in which my design takes upon. For example changing from a corcertina bind to a binding ring bind during the production of making my publication, as the latter was more appropriate.





3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the biggest strength in my work is the display of understanding in both my Essay and my publication about the subject of Modernism. Whilst my essay shows an understanding in my own way, and portrays my own opinion, the publication I created takes this to a whole new level, by taking what I have learnt and translating it to a point where others (of a younger age group) may understand. I also think that my work, particularly the publication, shows in every aspect how I have considered the subject of modernism, the content, the inspirations behind the story (wassily chair etc) the typeface I have used (Universal), the style of illustrations and the binding techniques all reflect my understanding of Modernism.






4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I think the weaknesses aren't particularly in the end products of my work, but took place in the process and production of completing the work. For example, not being able to screen print as I felt there would not be enough time, In the future I will ensure that I am preparing my screens as I design to save time once my designs are completed, I must also remember to come to a final solution and stick to it, instead of attempting to change this and 'perfect' my designs, as this will be a never ending battle. Next time I should also make sure that I have enough stock to make sure I can reprint what needs to be reprinted, as I did not have enough of this to respond fully to the feedback I was given by my peers and tutors.




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Set aside enough time for longer printing processes to achieve a more accurate and desired solution to a design that you have committed to.

Ensure that I have enough of the materials etc used for the project, so I can respond to the given feedback to the best of my ability.

Research design solutions to the fullest in order to not have to change my design solution mid way through the project. (For example: Binding my publication)

Attend/ catch up on all lectures as soon as possible to avoid falling behind and to increase my range of knowledge on design topics.

Complete individual research on topics we have been informed upon, to further increase my knowledge without the input of tutors.








6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor


Attendance     4
Punctuality      5
Motivation       5
Commitment   5
Quantity of work produced   5
Quality of work produced   4
Contribution to the group   4
The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment