Tuesday 6 May 2014

COP2: Practical project / Barbie : Final developments/ Final solution.

COP2. 
PRACTICAL PROJECT / BARBIE.
FINAL DEVELOPMENT / FINAL SOLUTION. 

Today I worked on the design of my inside leaflet, a timeline which would highlight the mistakes Barbie has made referring to culture, but also how Barbie has assisted with changes in culture as well. I had already written up the content (on one of previous blog posts) and so it was just a case of setting up the information to look like a timeline. I decided that the best way I could represent the timeline in a leaflet format, would be to create it in the style of a corsatina leaflet, this way, each of the dolls can be viewed alone, or the leaflet can be pulled out to view the whole timeline at once. 




 


In terms of the aesthetic, I wanted to keep it consistent with the rest of the box, using the same colour schemes patterns and motifs. Below i have put into place, the front cover of the leaflet which emphasises the idea of 55 years of Barbie, as this is the sole focus of the content of the leaflet. The back uses the same pattern used on the box for continuity. 







When inputting the content onto the template I used the same format as that seen on the back of the box. Taking advantage of the 50's style and using unpredictable shapes to house information. 


I used a combination of Images and illustrations when creating the leaflets, giving a true to life and honest representation of of the Barbie dolls being described, whilst tying the designs in with the rest of the box through retro illustrations. 


For example, above I have placed and illustration of a mirror bewteen the 1959 and 1964 Barbie to reflect the idea that Barbie has become more vain, and cares more about her appearence than previously. Emulating the idea that culture is becoming more self obsessed in terms of appearence. 


I carried on the same consistent format for the rest of the leaflet adding illustrations to each of the images of the Barbie. 



For the last Barbie, the 2014 edition, as it wasn't an actual doll that had been made, Instead I put in illustrations of all the commodities that the doll comes with as this is the important element of the product.



The finished product and how the timeline will look when folded out:




Now that I had all the elements together:
- Box net
- Leaflet
- Commodities

I constructed the box net and placed the items inside. 







I feel that this piece is a good representation of what is argued in my essay, versus the materialisation of these arguments in the 21st century in a practical way. It speaks of the reaction to inventions such as the internet and mobile phones and how these have affected not only our global, but our local relationships questioned by McLuhan in my essay, but also the spread of Western culture to Eastern soil a concept discussed by Ritzer. 
Every detail on and inside the box from my piece has a purpose and relevance to my essay. Creating the practical piece has furthered my understanding of globalisation on a more practical and visual scale. 







No comments:

Post a Comment