Monday 8 October 2012

OUGD401 Context of practice 1: Study task 1.

After being Briefed upon the module of design context, we were asked to complete a small task. On your Context of practice (Design practice) blog find, post, and write about a piece of graphic design that you do like and one that you don't. I find a lot of the time that it is easier to find graphic design that I do like, not just because I have a cynical demeanor but because, I'm currently not keen on much influenced by modernist or international styles.


1. The piece of graphic design I don't like pictured below is a Japanese poster called; 'Geometric Geisha'. 
I don't like the use of geometric shapes as the eye does not follow them with ease. I prefer design with fluidity that the eye can aimlessly follow. This piece also reminds me of the Art Deco movement, which is in fact my least favourite. I like the ease of curves, illustration and organic forms in contrast to repetitive angular motifs such as the 'sunburst' which is popular among Art deco work.
I am very critical about colour, it is something I always put a lot of thought into when considering design. Personally I like to work with no, or monotone colour, with an emphasis on media such as blind embossing and letterpress, rather than in blocks separated by straight harsh lines. I also very much like the regular occurrence of negative space.

2. A piece of my favourite Graphic design is either of the 'Ever stop to wonder what makes something beautiful' Pieces by Graphic designer Darren Newman.

I favour a lot of Newman's work but have chosen these two inparticular due to their unconventional media choice. Firstly, both pieces in their original state are monochrome black and white, however they have been printed with a glow in the dark ink. The first Image is one of my favourites due to the fluid lines in which it speaks and its influence from the art noveau movement, which is the movement I most prefer due to Its reliance on nature and elemental contours. I like the second for its same media choice, but also its contextual referencing. From the way that it has been created in glow in the dark ink, to the  typeface looking like it has been constructed via led fibers which then blossom in the dark. 




No comments:

Post a Comment