Monday 28 April 2014

COP2 Practical brief: Box dimensions.

COP2.
Practical Brief.
Barbie: Initial sketches and designs. 

To Begin with I wanted to try and put a simple scale next together so that I would know, approximately, the size of the box I would need to be designing for. In order to do this I took the Barbie I bought and measured the size of the box. Although width wise my box would be wider as It is going to come with more accessories, the height and depth of the box would be the same. 


The measurements for the height and depth of the box which I will be using are:
Height - 320mm.
Depth - 60mm.


The width of this size box containing only the doll by itself is 115 mm. As I will be putting accessories into my box aswell as a time line book I think that it is important that I increase the size of the box by at least 50%. Making the width of the box 175mm.


I tested the width of the box by drawing up a simple diagram in illustrator. In the diagram I have plugged in the measurement for the width of Barbie and how much of the box she would take up which is 85mm. I then have a 90mm width left over which may seem like a large amount of space, as it is wider than that allocated for the actual doll, however I have to put the small leaflet/booklet of 55 years of barbie in this space, of which 90mm appeared like the appropriate size. 


I decided that in terms of design, my 55 years of Barbie packaging would follow the same kind of shape as others gone by, creating a cardboard shell for the bottom back and sides, whilst creating a large window to the front, for easy viewing of the doll out of acetate. 



Therefore I next started to sketch up the shape I wanted the Barbie packaging to take on, similar to the ones above.  I sketched up two ideas, However I preffered the second due to its more modern and cleaner appearence. At first I wanted to do the corner triangles because I didn't want the top strip to block the view of the window to much, however I found I could still do this in a strip format by making the second very slim The parts not coloured in represent the acetate window. 


Next, so that I am able to get on with designing the bock efficiently I sketched up the shape of the net, and then drew it bigger with measurements. This will be easy to reproduce with measurements. 


I then, with help of the diagram I had previously drawn up in illustrator that referred to the inner space, drew up the size and format of the small booklet which would be placed inside. The booklet would be a corsertina format. As the content of this will be in a timeline, the user can open up the booklet fully in order to view the whole timeline. I created a size for the booklet that fit into the section I had put aside for accessories in the box, leaving some room round the edge for any glitches. 







No comments:

Post a Comment