Sunday 28 December 2014

OUGD601 / Context of Practice - Practical element - Design development.

OUGD601.
PRACTICAL ELEMENT.
DESIGN DEVELOPMENT.

I wanted the logo of the brand to represent an element about the chocolate but also visually reflect the brand name. For these two reasons I started looking at script lettering, as I felt that this area of typography represented the smoothness of chocolate and aesthetically echoed the visual of the word heavenly, creating and appealing and attractive flow. 

With this in mind I began looking at script type samples using the brand name.











Although I felt that none of them fully represented the smoothness I had envisioned for the logo, I felt that one of the type samples was workable:


Although this typeface is not as clean as I was wanting, I felt that it encompassed the fluidity I was looking for in the text and that the clean lines could be editable. 

 I began to experiment with the typeface on paper, making it slightly thicker, and giving the type straighter angles and lines. 




I also gave the first and last letters of the brand name more ornamentation, to increase attraction to the eye, and to make the word look more balanced. Here I redrew the logo with straighter lines. 


However I wasn't sure whether the straight edges made the logo look too formal, and therefore I also experimented, making the logo with rounder edges. 



Although I felt that the rounded edges were much more appealing and reflective of what should be a less luxurious brand, I felt that the added outline around the perimeter of the text cheapened the logo too much and therefore I drew the rounded edge text again, without this added ornamentation.  



As I was redrawing the logo, and, being happy with it, I began working on the visuals surrounding the type on the packaging. which also played with the meaning of the brand name creating visuals of clouds and light. 

I want to steer away from a colour pallet using any type of green as the idea in reflection to the research undertaken for my dissertation is to market green products with no difference to regular products. However I had to pick colouring carefully, as many colours when associated with food can be off putting. (http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-the-body/color-and-appetite-matters) The most appetising foods are those with colours commonly found in nature. It is important that at first sight edible food appears appetising. Therefore when thinking about colours for the heavenly brand I instantly thought about the colour of the product itself, making the packaging of the product look good enough to eat. I wanted to appeal to again the smoothness, and heavenliness of the chocolate, however I did want to give a subtle nod towards a more natural look. In order to do so I looked into chocolate rendered Type. 

Below is some chocolate rendered type (top) by Moonstruck and (below) by Jessica Hische for Dove chocolate. I feel that colour psychology and how appetising the design appears definitely helps to sell edible products, and therefore I feel that marketing the packaging to look like debossed chocolate type/ carved into chocolate will appear more appetising to customers, whilst still appearing more natural.




I do however feel that the first use of this style by moonstruck would be more appropriate for my chocolate branding. Although the second by Dove does work, I feel it looks too over manufactures and perfect, whereas the first use by Moonstruck looks more natural and realistic. This is a style I am hoping I can recreate with the help of programs such as Photoshop and Sketch Up. 







No comments:

Post a Comment